04 October 2010

The Battle of the Pope and the Rabbi.

Several centuries ago, the Pope
decreed that all the Jews had to
convert to Catholicism or leave
Italy. There was a huge outcry
from the Jewish community, so
the Pope offered a deal:
He would have a religious
debate with the leader of the
Jewish community. If the Jews
won, they could stay in Italy ; if
the Pope won, they'd have to
convert or leave. The Jewish
people met and picked an aged
and wise Rabbi to represent
them in the debate.
However, as the Rabbi spoke no
Italian, and the Pope spoke no
Yiddish, they agreed that it
would be a 'silent' debate.
On the chosen day the Pope and
Rabbi sat opposite each other.
The Pope raised his hand and
showed three fingers. The Rabbi
looked back and raised one
finger. Next, the Pope waved his
finger around his head.
The Rabbi pointed to the ground
where he sat.
The Pope brought out a
communion wafer and a chalice
of wine.
The Rabbi pulled out an apple.
With that, the Pope stood up
and declared himself beaten and
said that the Rabbi was too
clever. The Jews could stay in
Italy .
Later the Cardinals met with the
Pope and asked him what had
happened.
The Pope said, "First I held up
three fingers to represent the
Trinity.
He responded by holding up a
single finger to remind me there
is still only one God common to
both our faiths.
"Then, I waved my finger around
my head to show him that God
was all around us.
The Rabbi responded by pointing
to the ground to show that God
was also right here with us.
"I pulled out the wine and host
to show that through the perfect
sacrifice Jesus has atoned for our
sins. The Rabbi pulled out an
apple to remind me of the
original sin. He bested me at
every move and I could not
continue."
Meanwhile, the Jewish
community gathered to ask the
Rabbi how he'd won.
"I haven't a clue," said the rabbi.
"First, he told me that we had
three days to get out of Italy, so
I gave him the finger.
"Then he tells me that the whole
country would be cleared of
Jews, but I told him emphatically
that we were staying right here."
"And then what?" asked a
woman.
"Who knows?" said the Rabbi.
"He took out his lunch, so I took
out mine."

No comments:

Post a Comment